Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Alpha Legion Praetor

Hello - my name is...Alpharius...?
 Some more meandering painting progress from the lake.  This is a Praetor from the Alpha Legion, building on the command figures I painted a few weeks ago. Most 30k gamers will recognize the figure as the plastic Ultramarines command model from GW's "Betrayal at Calth" box set. I was not crazy about this model, but since I have accumulated a couple of those boxes, and I thought I would try putting at least one of them to use on the table.  I don't have any Ultramarines on the go at present, so I decided I would paint him up in the colours of the XX Legion, the Alphas.

Chain fist for...solving problems...yes, that's it..

The figure is sporting Cataphractii terminator armour, carrying a fancy "combi-weapon" that is both bolt gun and melta gun, as well as a nutty chain fist for that more up close and personal work 30k Legion commanders are expected to handle.

The decals from Forge World really came in handy on this figure

As I said I was not crazy about this figure. For starters, Space Marines should wear their helmets - it's dangerous out there! And there is something about the sideways angle of the pose that is at odds with the ominous armour and big guns.  Seriously, when you are that big and well-protected, just turn around and face whatever it is, and shoot it!

Whacky cloak? Of course! It's 30k, after all...

On the plus side, the ornate details on the armour are nicely done, implying a higher rank without anything too over-the-top, and providing a lot of spots for decals and Legion icons, allowing you to customize the figure to the Legion of your choice (assuming you don't wish to be painting the lame dopes of the XIII Legion).

More view of the real-estate on the armour for the decals from Forge World
The side-angled focus of the pose is not my thing, but he is certainly looking dramatic overall, what with the cape and the fancy weapons. Based on the practices of the XX Legion, I think we can assume this fellow's name is...Alpharius?

Up next, some more grunts for the XX Legion...

7 comments:

Peter Douglas said...

Nice work on this guy Greg. I really like the blue.
Cheers, Peter

Michael Awdry said...

I just love that colour Greg. Splendid work.

Iannick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Iannick said...

Excellent work! I like the "simplicity" (for GW) of the model.

Moiterei_1984 said...

Excellent work Greg! As always your recipe for Alpha Legion works a treat.

Curt said...

Lovely work Dude! I agree, the pose seems a bit unbalanced and bit too anime-inflected but he's still pretty darn cool. He better get his helmet on before the servitors from Operational Health and Safety give him a dressing down.

JamieM said...

Very nice work! I'm still procrastinating on which figure to send you for challenge payment and given your "love" for this figure, the Imperium side of me wants to paint up my copy and send it through to you as penance for your mob starting the Heresy ;)